Saturday, June 17, 2017

~ Aweseome Dad ~

Hello Blogger Friends! Thanks for taking the time to stop and visit with the Charmed Life Blog on this Saturday in June. 
 
We have been having some heavy rain and thunder storms the past few days. It has caused some flash flooding in several areas in Pittsburgh. My home has experienced no flooding or other damage. We are supposed to have some more heavy storms on Sunday. Hopefully, flooding won't be another issue.
 
Tomorrow is Father's Day here in the US. Not sure if that is a world wide holiday or not. The card I created today is for my weekly DT post on the CottageCutz blog.  This is also the card I will be giving to my hubby to celebrate his special day. He is an awesome dad and Grandfather.
 
I wanted to use the Awesome Phrase die and started thinking of how I could incorporate that into a Father's Day card.

I wanted the card to reflect my hubby as extraordinary & impressive and also to have an image that reflected that as well. I came up with a dinosaur image. They were grand and striking animals. So my card idea was born. Maybe I think to much (LOL), but it helps me to create when I have a theme in mind.

So let's get started with some details on my card for this week.

Step 1: Once my card theme was set, I needed a layout for my card. I saw the  Splitcoaststampers Sketch #649 and thought it would work perfectly. When I look at a sketch I guesstimate the layer sizes. I usually start with an A2 base then go form there. It looked to me as though layer #2 had a 1/4" border on this layout. Once I figured that size, the other panel sizes became a bit easier.
 
Burgundy Card Base: 5 1/2" x 4 1/4"
Striped Patterned Paper (layer #2): 4 7/8" x 3 5/8"
Lime rectangle Panel: (layer #4) 4 7/8" x 1 3/4"
Navy Blue Rectangle Panel (layer #5) 4 7/8" x 1 5/8"
Sentiment Circle: (layer #6): circle dies -3rd largest
Step 2: I looked through my patterned paper and cardstock for my colors. I thought this striped paper had a nice masculine appeal, and I could also use it for layer #3 in the sketch. The striped paper has burgundy, navy blue. lime green, emerald green and peach. I cut the papers to the above sizes and die cut my circles. Navy blue is a hard color for me to photograph for some reason. It looks black in this photo.
 
Step 3: I die cut my dinosaur and my word phrase. I wasn't sure at first what color to make the awesome word or the dinosaur. So I cut several staying with the card colors. But in the end, the dino ending up lime green and a darker contrast green. His bony spine is cut in peach also one of the colors in the striped paper. The awesome phrase look best in the burgundy color.
Step 4: Next I stamped my sentiment in night of navy ink. I just wanted the Dad portion of the stamp for my circle. So I taped off all the words except Dad and inked up that part of the stamp. I used my MISTI just in case  I needed to stamp the sentiment more than one time. And, as it turned out the image did stamp dark enough the first time so had to re-stamp. If you look at my finished card you will see the difference a second stamping made.



Step 5: Now that all the dies are cut and sentiment stamped, it 's time for card assembly. I added a couple peach enamel dots and a peach heart to complete my Father's Day card.
 
Well, that's it for me for this post. So until next time.........God bless.
 
Dies I used to create card:
http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutzbabydino-stegosaurus.aspx

http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutzexpressionsplusawesomephrase.aspx

I am also entering:
1.  Crafty Calendar Challenge for June is "boys will be boys".
2.  Craft Rocket Challenges has a for the men/boys challenge.
3.  Cardz 4 Guyz has a something blue for Father's Day. My rectangle panel is blue and my sentiment is stamped in navy blue.
4.  Cuttlebug Mania has a Father's Day challenge.

5 comments:

  1. Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at Crafty Calendar, good luck!!! Amy DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great card, I love that dinosaur. Truly "awesome"! Thanks for joining us at Cardz 4 Guyz
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dinosaur is wonderful for a father’s day card!

    Thanks for playing along with us at our present challenge at Craft Rocket and good luck! Hope you will join us next month again.

    Hugs
    Alex
    *DT* Craft Rocket Challenges {#38 – For a boy / man}
    *DT + Admin* Do-Al(l) Kreatives {#6 – Early summer}
    Alex' Kreative Seite

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome card!!!

    Thank you for joining us at Cuttlebug Mania
    Cuttlebugs & Hugs
    Jannie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute dinosaur and great masking of the stamp too.
    Thanks for sharing at Cardz4Guyz. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails