Friday, September 16, 2016

~Tree Tops Glisten~

 
Hello Blogger Friends! Happy Friday to you all. Don't know where this week went to so quickly.
 
We started full sessions of preschool this past Tuesday. We have a great class of 11 kids. They all seem to like the new adventure their on right now.
 
I like the cooperative spirit they all have. Whether it's time to come to circle for our good morning activities or story time, art projects, or snack or outside time they all listen and cooperate. It hasn't been like that in previous years. So our year is off to a good start.
 
It will take me a couple of weeks to settle into the routine again. Right now I am really tired after a day in class. And today is a recovery day for me (lol). I slept 10 hours last night. Today is a gym day for me so I will get energized there.
 
So let's move onto my card for today. This one I created for the Color Challenge #600 on Splitcoaststampers. This is a fun anniversary challenge that I hosted and there is still time to play along with us.
I also posted it as my DT card on the CottageCutz blog. Without further delay, let's get started on some details of how I made this card.
Today I am featuring  a Christmas card using one of the new CottageCutz Christmas 2016 dies.

This one is the Birch Trees & Deer dies. The die cuts the trees in 4 different pieces. I think that makes it much easier for placement and attaching to your cardstock. And, I love the antlers on the deer. The die cuts so smoothly.

White Card Base:  4 1/4" x 5 1/2"
Smoky Slate Layer: 4" x 5 1/8"
Image Layer: 3 7/8" x 5"

I started my card by creating the background. It was done by using both a brayer and a large sponge dauber. My ink colors are Stampin'-Up's coastal cabana and bermuda bay.
Tips on using Brayer: I always use dye based inks because it dries quickly and when you mix the inks they will stay true to color. I use a soft rubber brayer from Speedball.
My cardstock is a smooth white cardstock. Because it's so smooth you won't get a lot of spots in your work like you would by using a textured cardstock.

When you ink up your brayer, roll in one direction. If you roll it back and forth you won't ink the entire brayer.
When I start the actual brayering, I have the brayer right next to my cardstock and roll upwards and then come back and catch the edge of the paper. And then go back and forth, back and forth.

I used the lightest shade of ink and went about 1/3 of the way down my cardstock. I repeated this several times until I got the shade and look I wanted.

Then I inked up my dauber and started sponging with the bermuda bay ink. I kept applying color until I had the shade I wanted. I didn't cover the entire background because I knew I was going to add a snowbank to this card.



Once this part of my background was complete, I pulled out a snowflake stencil to create some background snow. I secured the stencil with some painters tape. Works like a charm for me.
I used 3-D molding paste and smoothed it over the stencil with a spatula. Once I have the paste in place  I remove the tape and carefully lift off the stencil. I set it aside for about an hour to dry.
While this was drying I cut the snowbank from white cardstock and stamped my sentiment in the teal ink. Then I added some glue and chunky glitter. Just wanted a little sparkle on the card.
I cut the trees in smoky slate cardstock and my deer in soft suede cardstock. I also added chunky glitter to the treetops to make them glisten and sparkle just like my sentiment says.
Now with all the elements complete, I am ready for the card assembly. I attached the trees with Ranger multi-medium matte and I used glue dots for the deer. The image panel is layered over the light gray cardstock. And, to this layer I cut some white fun foam to lift it off the base panel. It just creates more dimension on your card. You could also use mounting tape.
Here are some close up shots of the trees and the deer. You can also see the little bit of chunky glitter I added to the treetops for the glistening effect.  
Well my friends, that's my post for this week. I hope my card has given you some ideas of ways to use this new die set.
Just a reminder that our 6th challenge is going on with a Holiday theme this time around. Get info here.
Until next time.......God bless!!!
http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutzbirchtreesanddeer.aspx
 
I am also entering:
1.  Craft Rocket Challenge is using mostly blue.
2.  Fab 'n'Funky has an inspired by nature challenge.
3.  Fresh Brewed Designs has an animal challenge.
4.  A Snowflakes Promise is anything goes.
5.  Christmas at Sweet Stampin' has a Christmas die cuts challenge.
 
 
 


9 comments:

  1. Absolutely fabulous card. Thanks for playing along with us this fortnight. Lisa DT Craft Rocket Challenges

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely stunning. I love this card. What great colors you decided to use and the layout is beautiful. I adore your dies..they are awesome. Thanks for joining us at Christmas at Sweet Stampin' for our Christmas/Winter Die Cuts challenge! --Gail

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen the birch tree die cuts before. Great card! Thanks for sharing at Craft Rocket Challenges. Barbara DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the die cuts you've used with this fantastic colour combo - thank you for joining us at Fab'n Funky.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card. I love your background! Thanks for joining us at Christmas at Sweet Stampin' for our Use a Winter/Christmas die challenge! --Gail

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful love how you laid the trees in TFS Craft Rocket Ch Lis DT

    ReplyDelete
  7. Saw this beautiful card on our challenge blog and although it's not one of my "official" comment numbers, I just had to stop by and let you know that I think this card is absolutely stunning! Thank you for playing at Christmas at Sweet Stampin'. Tracey x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this is really pretty! Looks just like the view I had on my drive home today!

    I'm a fellow stamper who makes blank general and thank you pet themed handmade cards and donates them to animal shelters and rescue groups. I've just started a new blog, Sending Paw Prints, for this purpose. I love your cards and am hoping if you have a stash of pet themed cards or are interested in making some you'll think of donating them to Sending Paw Prints.

    http://sendingpawprints.blogspot.com/

    Thank you!
    Karen Howard

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails